January 12, 2023
Mindset Matters – Episode #63 – Confirmation Bias
“Why the conversation about mindset and why is it important? It’s not just about success, it’s not about getting shit done, it’s not about being uber successful in business or in life. It’s really how we approach business, how we approach life. It’s actually all about us and how we view the world.” – Patrick Francey
- Selected links and people mentioned in this episode:
- Mindset Matters Registration
- Connect with REIN Canada
- REIN Canada
- [email protected]
- REIN Channel
- SHOW NOTES
- Join Patrick and Steffany and listen in as they take on the topic of Confirmation Bias and add a touch of Cognitive Dissonance!
- The current state of our world seems marked by a growing divide and escalating polarization.
- It often seems as though people are constantly at odds with each other, different groups and individuals occur as “right fighters” or “fact checkers”, labels such as “woke” and “un-woke” or far “left” and far “right” are now common.
- But is this growing divide as real as it appears, and if it is, why is it?
- Are we less willing to change today than in the past?
- What is that you ask?
- Confirmation bias is the tendency to interpret information in a way that confirms our existing beliefs, rather than objectively evaluating new information. It is a form of bias that can influence our view of an issue, our decision-making, and even our relationships. This bias is often unconscious and is often driven by a refusal to consider information that contradicts our beliefs. Cognitive dissonance is another mechanism that can lead to the reinforcement of our views, even in the face of evidence that contradicts them. It refers to the discomfort or tension that arises when we are presented with information that conflicts with our beliefs, values or attitudes.