May 11, 2023
Embracing New Eras: Why Being Open to Change is Key to Living Your Greatest Life
Embracing New Eras: Why Being Open to Change is Key to Living Your Greatest Life
Life is constantly changing, and with each passing day, month and year we are presented with new opportunities to grow and evolve. However, embracing these changes can be a difficult task for many. Whether it’s fear of the unknown or reluctance to leave our comfort zones, we can find ourselves hanging on to the familiar instead of embracing new eras. Often, we don’t recognize the reality of a changing era, we don’t see it for what it is. Being open to change is critical in the evolution of being your greatest self and living your best life– it allows you to discover and unlock your fullest potential. In this blog post, I want to explore why recognizing and embracing new eras is key to growth and how you can start taking steps towards living your best life today!
What is an Era?
By definition, an era is a period in time which a particular set of cultural, political, economic, or social conditions exists. The word “era” can also be used to refer to a specific period in history. For example, the era of the Roman Empire was a time when Rome was the dominant political power in the world. An era can be the shift in milestones of leaving our 20’s to our 30‘s then 40’s and so on. A relational era of friendship, parent’s becoming empty nesters, the end of a relationship because of divorce are other examples of changing eras.
How Do Eras Happen?
The answer to how do eras happens is both simple and complex. An era is a period of time during which a particular set of conditions or events exists. But, of course, the details are much more nuanced. Here’s a slightly closer look at how eras unfold:
Eras can be characterized by specific themes or events that come to define them. For example, the Roaring Twenties were defined by economic prosperity, social liberation, and technological innovation. Similarly, the 1980s were defined by greed, excess, and materialism.
While themes and events can play a role in defining an era, they don’t always have to. Sometimes an era is simply determined by a change in perspective or attitude. For example, the Renaissance was characterized by a shift from medieval thinking to more humanistic views.
Ultimately, what determines an era is up to you to decide. Some might argue that we’re currently in the midst of a new era characterized by political turmoil and social media, transitioning from the third turning to the fourth turning. Others might say that we’re still in the post-9/11 era or that we’re moving into an era of climate change.
What’s important to remember is that eras are not static; they are dynamic and evolve over time as new conditions or events emerge. So even though it might be difficult to pin down exactly when or how an era happens, it’s important to be aware and open to change so that you can not only embrace new eras as they occur but also what they have to offer.
Benefits of Embracing Change
In this fast-paced world, change is constant. And yet, so many of us resist change, clinging to what we know even when it no longer serves us. Why is that?
There are many reasons why we might resist change. Maybe we’re afraid of the unknown, or worried that we won’t be able to cope with something new. Maybe we’re comfortable with the status quo and don’t want to rock the boat, or risk current relationships of friends, family workmates etc.
Whatever the reason, resisting change can hold us back and prevent us from reaching our full potential. Here are just a few of things to consider for embracing change:
1. Change helps us grow and learn.
Change is a necessary part of life, and it can help us grow in ways we never thought possible. When we embrace change, we open ourselves up to new experiences and new ways of learning. We might learn something new about ourselves or the world around us. Or we might simply have a chance to practice our adaptability skills!
2. Change keeps us from getting stuck in the ticktok of life
If we never embrace change, we risk getting stuck– both professionally and personally. Life can become monotonous and boring if we don’t make an effort to try new things and shake things up occasionally. Embracing change can help prevent this by keeping us engaged and interested in life.
3. Change helps us build a future
Challenges of a New Era
This quote from famous Stoic Epictetus is an impactful reminder for anyone seeing the change of an era…“The chief task in life is simply this: to identify and separate matters so that I can say clearly to myself which are externals not under my control, and which have to do with the choices I actually control. Where then do I look for good and evil? Not to uncontrollable externals, but within myself to the choices that are my own…” — Epictetus, Discourses,
One of the biggest challenges we face in a new era is staying open to change. It’s easy to get comfortable with the way things are and resist anything that might disrupt our routine. But if we’re not open to change, we miss out on all the great possibilities that come with it.
Some struggle to adapt to new technologies and ways of doing things. With each new generation comes new technologies that can seem daunting at first. But if we’re willing to learn and embrace them, they can make our lives easier and more efficient.
We mustn’t forget the importance of human connection in a ever-changing world. In spite of all the advances in technology, nothing can replace the power of face-to-face interactions and genuine human connection. So while it’s important to stay open to change, don’t forget the importance of maintaining close relationships with family and friends.
How to Be Open to a New Era
There is no denying that we are living in tumultuous and uncertain times. Political unrest, natural disasters, and our social media echo chambers have created an environment of anxiety and fear for many. In the face of all this change, it can be difficult to feel like things will ever get better. But, as history has shown us time and time again, change is the only constant in life. Embracing new eras is key to growth, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually because it requires that we adapt in the face of adversity.
Here are some ideas for how to be open to a new era:
- Let go of the past: We can’t move forward if we’re constantly looking back. Letting go of the past doesn’t mean forgetting it; it just means that we need to focus on the present and future.
- Try new things: Change can be uncomfortable, but it can also be exciting. If we’re open to new experiences, we may find that we enjoy them more than we thought we would.
- Don’t fear failure: Change often comes with a certain amount of risk. But if we’re afraid of failure, we’ll never push ourselves to succeed. It’s important to remember that even if something doesn’t work out exactly as planned, we can learn from our mistakes and use them to improve our future endeavors.
- Have faith: Things may seem bad now, but they have a way of working out for the better. You can probably remember a time that was rough but in reflection turned out to be a good thing.
Ways to Navigate Through Change
- Identify or create your circle of support: Who will you turn to for help and guidance when things are changing? These people can provide invaluable support during times of transition.
- Create a plan: Having a plan can help you feel more in control during times of change. Knowing what actions you will take give you a sense of direction and purpose.
- Take things one day at a time: Change can be overwhelming, so it’s important to take things one day or even one moment at a time. Break down your goals into manageable pieces and focus on taking small steps each day.
- Be flexible: Be open to new ideas and ways of doing things. Changes can offer opportunities for growth and learning. Embrace them!
Being open to change is an essential part of life and personal growth. Embracing new eras can help us learn more about ourselves, our environment, and the world around us. By recognizing that changes happen all the time, we can remain flexible and proactive in order to make the most of whatever life throws at us. Set the intention to keep a positive outlook on life no matter what challenges come your way!