“I think it’s important to begin with the end in mind and look at where you want to be and work backwards to figure out how you get to that point.” OR “I think it’s really just a matter of trying to open people’s eyes to what is possible and what are the steps you need to take in order to make it possible” – Kyle Green
Kyle Green has been working as a mortgage broker since 2006 and has carved out a niche as an investment property specialist since 2008. His years of experience working with the Real Estate Action Group and many other investors and investment groups has made him one of the go-to resources for financing investment properties in Canada.
He has been a top producing franchise agent in British Columbia since 2011 and is now in the top 99.9% of mortgage brokers for annual funded volume. His articles have been featured in many publications such as the Vancouver Sun, The Province, Western Investor, Philippine Canadian Inquirer and more. One of his proudest awards is the REAG Joint Venture Award for his deal of the year in 2010, in which he closed on a $1.15 million property with $0 of his own money.
Kyle has been investing in real estate personally and his Cash Flow Analysis Spreadsheet – which he originally designed for himself – has been a huge hit with thousands of investors currently using it. His creativity goes a long way in finding ways of getting tough deals approved. Whether you are a first time home buyer or an investor, Kyle has the skill set to help you grow real estate wealthy!
During his free time Kyle likes to play hockey, watch Canucks hockey, and hang out with friends – and probably talk hockey!
- Show Notes
- [00:00] Kyle and Patrick get rockin’ with what the heck Kyle does!
- [00:51] Kyle expands on the specialized mortgage brokerage he has created, and the ever-growing team he is developing at the Green Team.
- [02:27] Patrick provides some insight and background into how he met Kyle and his perceptions of how Kyle shows up.
- [04:26] Kyle shares how he cut his entrepreneurial teeth watching and working in his Dad’s software business, negotiating extra chores for extra cash and a little stretch in age to start his own paper route.
- [08:09] Though high school wasn’t his platform for hard work, his journey through management, post-secondary and trial and error in the finance industry led Kyle to his first mortgage brokerage; just the right place to exercise that hard work muscle and flourish.
- [11:45] Kyle reveals the initial force behind his decision to get licensed as a mortgage broker: Porsche anyone? That did evolve with time and he came to realize how much he enjoyed and excelled at working with people.
- [13:25] From early on Kyle’s love for what he did centred around creatively putting the puzzle pieces together to find solutions for his clients. As he builds, he gets to enjoy the creativity of building his business.
- [17:36] Kyle’s core adage: you can improve your life, by improving your finances. Kyle and his team are there to help their clients achieve this but he firmly believes these financial life skills should be a priority in school curriculum.
- [19:17] Behind their presence on stage, and behind all Green Team marketing endeavours, is education-based marketing; offering value and building trust to give individuals information they need to know to make more informed decisions.
- [21:21] Kyle shares the story of his first speaking gig with Ozzie Jurock that turned into a small mob and set Kyle on his path to educate.
- [23:34] Kyle’s values are truly aligned with his chosen path. People, money, numbers. Flipping that money value and looking at why it’s important brings values and purpose together.
- [27:06] Two success factors behind Kyle’s achievements so far: first he has a business coach for one-on-one and group work; second, he embraces an abundance mindset and is open to share successes and challenges with other mortgage brokers.
- [30:16] A strong family influence and positive reinforcement from his parents and grandparents had Kyle avidly learning from an early age.
- [32:12] How Kyle sees himself relating to fellow millennials and some guidance both in real estate investing and in career path.
- [37:37] Begin with the end in mind. This is Kyle’s conversation starter for all clients who come to him with a desire to build a real estate portfolio. Start with the end and work back.
- [39:12] Going back to basic financial instruction in the school system, Kyle sees a huge gap in financial literacy when he sits down with clients, largely due he feels, to the lack of early education. This also tends to become a generational chain from parent to child.
- [41:33] Patrick lists four books that consistently come up in conversation as influential and foundational to financial literacy. Rich Dad, Poor Dad was Kyle’s first book that he picked up at 20.
- [43:21] Kyle’s message to parents about these four books – read them and educate yourself first, then share that education with your kids to set them up with a strong foundation and relationship to money.
- [46:23] Kyle talks about his reading habits and a great practice he picked up from his girlfriend – bring a notebook! Don’t just let the information flow out.
- [49:46] Recognizing the secret sauce that supports and works for us will significantly improve our mind set and help keep us from spiraling during challenging and stressful times.
- [50:21] What does Kyle’s daily routine look like? When he gets up, how he gets his business day going, exercise routines and sports; well, specifically hockey.
- [52:17] How Kyle got into hockey and his experience with the sport he is so passionate about.
- [54:00] Kyle and Patrick each share their relationship with meditation and sleep. How meditation can be attributed to positive shifts in their lives, the great impact operating around your natural sleep cycle can make and understanding life happens, so there’s no need to beat yourself up if you’re not always getting optimal slumber.
- [60:57] Patrick shares one further anecdote about a tool that helped to slow his brain down and enable him to fall asleep – bedtime stories on the Calm App.
- [63:15] Pulling up from the sleep rabbit hole, Kyle describes how he works with fellow entrepreneurs in mastermind groups and the Entrepreneur Organization (EO). Sometimes it’s necessary for friendships to fall away as you move and grow through life. Values shift and change; it’s a natural evolution.
- [67:08] Ready for Rapid Fire! Kyle’s favourite book to gift just happens to be his own first book! Ok so there’s a couple of others. Favourite swear word; favourite quote; alternate profession but likely still in business; message at the pearly gates; Kyle’s weirdness scale is higher than you think; room-desk-car; favourite music styles; favourite movie and Netflix series.
- [74:28] Kyle’s gratitude and a quote to finish.
Connect with Kyle Green:
Selected Links and People Mentioned from this episode:
Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don R. Campbell
The E-Myth Revisitedby Michael Gerber
The Wealthy Barber by David Chilton
Calm App – Meditation and Sleep Stories
Rockstar Real Estate Investing by Jessi Johnson and Kyle Green
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven J. Covey
The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande