“If you’re investing $500 here or $1000 there you’re hoping for a gimmick. If you go all in on something, you’re committed; you’re focused.” – Shane Melanson
Shane Melanson is the host of The Investing Advantage and the founder of Melanson Developments, a commercial real estate development and investment firm in Calgary AB.
Shane has authored 2 books – Club Syndication, How the Wealthy Raise Money and Invest in Commercial Real Estate and Evolve, Your 90 Day Growth Plan.
He is focused on helping professionals and business owners make smarter investing decisions. Creating financial abundance by investing like the wealthy through value-add, commercial real estate opportunities.
For the past 15 years, Shane has completed more than $260M in transactions for his clients and $65M in personal real estate transactions.
He has worked with publicly traded companies like Melcor Developments, First Capital, and Sun Life Financial, Hedge Funds and some of the wealthiest families in both Canada and the US. But today he’s focused on helping everyday people invest like the wealthy in commercial properties.
Shane lives in Calgary with his wife Kelly and 3 kids where he’s able to take his kids to school and no longer misses birthdays or dance recitals due to work and travel.
- Show Notes
- [02:08] Patrick introduces his next guest in the REIN Member Series: Shane Melanson
- [03:56] Shane and Patrick get going on today’s conversation and what Shane’s been up to most recently.
- [5:58] In addition to podcast host, Shane is a two-time author. He talks about the purpose behind them, the process and the unexpected gifts in writing his second book Evolve.
- [10:52] Shane explains his beginnings in real estate in Whitecourt, Alberta, his early “genius”, his lessons, and getting started in commercial real estate
- [13:31] Although it wasn’t a noticeable difference for him until this conversation, Shane shares what he feels was the difference for him as a commercial lender surrounded by highly successful investors, that made him take the extra step to put his learnings into real action.
- [16:46] Shane delves into his background, where his entrepreneurial spirit stemmed from, and by losing trust (and money) through a failed investment he was fueled to take charge of his own future.
- [22:22] As a father now himself, Shane shares how his relationship with his father has evolved and the great support from his mother.
- [23:57] An unlikely introduction to real estate through a city job.
- [25:05] Shane explains who and what lit a fire under him to get on the investment property train and purchase his first properties in Calgary.
- [27:30] Shane describes his start with commercial real estate and the learning opportunities that came with a scattering of investment deals and strategies.
- [29:51] What Shane is currently working on, where he invests and the type of development he and his partner undertake.
- [33:22] Shane talks about how he raises capital and the way in which he approaches his development deals with investors.
- [35:30] In working to their inherent strengths, Shane and partner find success with complementary skillsets.
- [38:31] From his own experience, Shane feels mentorship can’t be about the pursuit or a one-way street it’s more of an unquenchable curiosity that unfolds.
- [42:34] Shane discusses his morning routine and how he approaches professional development.
- [44:55] Patrick and Shane have a robust conversation about intentional friendships, cleaning up relationships, and distinguishing anchors vs. accelerators.
- [50:53] Self-care: what Shane does, and what it does for him.
- [52:19] Shane talks about the investments he makes in himself and the commitment he has to his life and goals.
- [55:33] Getting clear and committed was the game changer for Shane in living life on his own terms.
- [59:32] Shane digs into his own focus and how he has taken responsibility for that.
- [62:07] Shane’s intentionality and decision making are also deeply rooted in what’s best for his relationship with his wife Kelly and their kids.
- [66:12] Shane shares a story that illustrates both how aligned he and Kelly are and why he is so committed to decision making that centres around his family.
- [67:36] How Shane and Kelly do (and don’t) work together.
- [68:58] Rapid fire [well not so much]! Book he’s enjoying and why he’s reading it; favourite swear word; favourite inspirational quote and why he likes it; message at the pearly gates; Shane’s weirdness scale; what he’s not very good at; most impactful book; room-desk-car; favourite tune; favourite movie.
- [76:14] Shane’s gratitude.
Connect with Shane Melanson:
Selected Links and People Mentioned from this episode:
Club Syndication: How the Wealthy Invest Their Money by Shane Melanson
Higher Status by Jason Capital
Unleash the Power Within by Tony Robbins