March 8, 2022
Episode 136 – Jas Takhar – Ready, Fire, Aim!
“When I’m thinking about business, when I’m thinking about personal stuff, the second I go too far out to the future, I can’t predict it and so much can happen. I now just focus on what’s in front of me, ok let me just deal with that. And then I’m going to deal with the next step, and then the next step.” – Jas Takhar
- Selected links and people mentioned from this episode:
- Jas Takhar
- REC Canada
- Bob Proctor
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven R. Covey
- [02:08] Patrick introduces his next TEDM guest, Jas Takhar.
- [03:36] Jas and Patrick get rockin’ with their conversation and Jas explains where and how he is occurring in the world, both personally and professionally.
- [08:39] Jas talks about how his role evolved and the work he is championing and leading as REC Canada’s Chief Vision Officer. He and his partner have found the right formula to work to their strengths and best serve their clients.
- [15:29] Jas talks about values, alignment, and the culture around their REC Team.
- [23:13] Maintaining accountability drives Jas as a leader, and he explains how that looks for his team.
- [27:50] Journey to an entrepreneur. Jas shares what lit him up as a young student in school, and the less conventional but equally effective route he chose to educate himself and refine his gift and craft in sales. He remains curious and enthusiastic about the potential for growth in all areas of life.
- [33:50] Jas talks about the dynamics he shares with his brothers and what he has learned from them.
- [36:30] Lessons in great leadership are not a quarterly endeavour. Jas uses a borrowed analogy to illustrate his approach to leadership and his aptitude for emotional intelligence.
- [41:37] Jas speaks about their experience at the start of 2020 and how they moved forward with a virtual office and virtual events to preserve their sense of togetherness and relationship before they came back to the physical office.
- [47:43] In the space of education in the real estate arena there are specific benefits with audience engagement in the virtual environment that can’t be found in a live event. The drawback of course, is the lost face-to-face engagement (and hugs!).
- [51:40] Patrick and Jas roll with the pro-virtual viewpoint, to discuss the efficiencies and time savings of less travel and more technology for business – there’s no question most things will remain virtual. Jas expands on that as a game changer for content creation. With permission, he is able to record some client meetings and capture their questions as a means to share the answers in the form of a podcast, a post, or a blog.
- [57:12] Jas talks about his “fear factor”, his resilience and how he manages it all. He shares a story to illustrate the point of refined focus in the present along with incremental motion. A return to gratitude in the face of adversity will soften the edges of fear.
- [63:21] Patrick shares another story in the context of overwhelm about how important it is to break it down step by step to get to the desired result.
- [67:12] You don’t walk down the beach finding gold and diamonds, you’ve got to dig. In a time of widespread access, it’s easy to mine the information to learn about real estate investing but the key is to dig deeper for quality and authenticity.
- [69:05] When our focus lies solely on an outcome, we lose the power and joy of experiencing the journey to get there. The journey exists and serves the compelling “why.” Jas is able to bring all the tools he has acquired thus far to have fun and thrive on this part of his journey.
- [75:24] Jas explains the process he and his business partner Simeon undertook to grow their organization. From organic to intentional the common thread is wholehearted trust and alignment in values. Self-awareness helps! Jas is self-described work in progress, but his good intent is sincere.
- [83:40] Jas and Patrick fan the flames of the rapid fire: favourite book to gift; favourite swear word with intonation to boot; favourite inspirational quote; favourite artist; favourite movie; message at the pearly gates.
- [87:10] Jas’ overwhelming gratitude.